ONFE has launched more than 40 education programs—becoming partners of choice for new, collaborative initiatives that enhance student learning and achievement. Here are some highlights of what we achieved in the past year (2015/16):
- 13,5000 children began each school day with a nutritious breakfast
- Almost 1,500 volunteers dedicated over 186,000 hours of their time to support student success. That equates to over $3.7 million of in-kind support!
- 15 school-business partnerships engaged employer-supported volunteers to read to young children in local schools
- 42 students teams coded new apps for submission into the annual AppJam competition
- Total of 7,572 students took part in the JA Ottawa program, learning business basics, financial literacy and developing entrepreneurship skills
Capacity Building and Educator Support
- 80% increase in school-based substance-abuse counselling and other supports for students, parents and educators over three years
- 2,000 educators and community agency staff received in-service instruction in mental health as part of the Student Support Leadership Initiative
- Almost 500 people attended the 15th annual EduGala to recognize teaching excellence in the region; 68 finalists, representing 10 educational institutions, were honoured at the event.