How to Support English Language Learners – Online Self-Paced Training (en anglais seulement)
septembre 3, 2019 - juin 1, 2020
This training is meant specifically for those interested in supporting English language learners (ELLs) in Ottawa District School Board (OCDSB) schools. Most of the students you will be working with our recent newcomers to Canada, some will have gaps in their learning or not yet developed age-appropriate literacy skills in their first language but due to a variety of factors. Some will be Canadian-born students, who also learning English as an additional language. There some students from Metis, Inuit or First Nations communities who are attending school in Ottawa. Others are students living in international communities in Ottawa where English is not being spoken at home. Other ELL students include international students attending OCSDB schools. To access this course, please send an email request to email@example.com .
Volunteers completing this course will:
- Become familiar with additional language teaching: definition and basic concepts.
- Develop an understanding and appreciation for ELLs and how you can help support them in a culturally responsive manner.
- Gain insight into the four language skills (speaking, listening, reading, and writing) and how to support ELLs in their learning environments as they develop these language and literacy skills.
- Learn various skills and strategies for successful support and inclusion of ELLs.
- Develop skills to help students with their social and emotional learning, such as building relationships, making friends, and learning how school works.
- Embed theory into practice upon successful completion of the training through a volunteer placement in an OCDSB school or program through OVIE.