Category: Literacy, Special Education
Program: Ottawa Volunteers in Education
Region: east, west, south, central
Grade Level: elementary, intermediate, secondary
*Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC) Required
OCDSB schools need volunteer scribes to assist students with special education needs, and English language learners, during exams and provincial testing.
Help students show what they know. Help them write with their voices.
Many of the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board schools will be looking for volunteer scribes to support students with special education needs and English language learners during exams and provincial testing.
- Primary Division and Junior Division (Grade 3/6 EQAO Assessments)
- Assessments of Reading, Writing and Mathematics: May 23 to June 4, 2018
- Assessment of Mathematics (second-semester full-year students) (Grade 9): June 5 to June 18, 2018
The following are some of the key roles for the volunteer scribe:
- Print by hand or type by computer the student’s answers exactly as they are dictated;
- Read the dictation back to the student;
- Make any revisions or changes at the student’s request;
- Fill in the circles for students’ answers to the multiple choice questions in the assessment booklets.
Requires a time commitment of approximately 2 hours per student.Schools will provide training to all scribes at the school a few days prior to the testing. The testing is usually scheduled between 8:30am – 1:00pm (varies a little from school to school).
Address: Ottawa, ON, Canada
*Requires a recent Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC). Instructions on how to get a PVSC will be emailed to you after you apply online.
Please note that all volunteer positions require careful screening and a Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC). Not all applicants will be accepted.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering!
The registration process takes about 15 minutes.