Learning Styles, Learning Differences
- All volunteers must watch this video to give you context, "HOW DIFFICULT CAN THIS BE?" The F.A.T. City Learning Disability Workshop by Richard Lavoie. F.A.T. City stands for the Frustration, Anxiety and Tension which comes from living with a learning disability. Borrow this video from your local library or from the Ottawa-Carleton Learning Disabilities Association
- Anxiety, Depression and Behaviour: Wonderful tools to help you support all learners: The Supporting Minds
- Learning Strategies help students learn new skills; organization, SQ5R reading strategy, note-taking, writing and studying. Learn strategies that you can pass onto your students.
- Learning Disabilities 35% of children with learning disabilities drop out of high school. This is twice the rate of students without learning disabilities. Learn how you can support these students.
- Assistive Technology Support for K-12 Students AT provides the "wings" students with language learning challenges need to "fly". Watch these videos sign up for AT training through ONFE.
- Assistive Technology Support for High School and Post-Secondary Students Getting student ready to attend post-secondary education, whether it be college, university or an apprenticeship program, this site provides wonderful resources to create a transition plan, learning strategies, and assistive technology training and support.
- Universal Design for Learning (UDL) is an educational framework based on research in the learning sciences, including cognitive neuroscience, that guides the development of flexible learning environments that can accommodate individual learning differences
- How to Support Gifted Students click here for a list of great resources and videos.
- Learn about the Ontario Accessibility Guidelines to help you support students with disabilities. It will take approximately 30 minutes to complete. Enjoy the course!
- Yale Centre for Dyslexia and Creativity -- loads of resources!
- Math Tool Box Wiki
- Fun Math programs for you and your students: GAPC Entertainment is thrilled to announce the launch of three new games on The Prime Radicals interactive website.
- Inspiring You Child to Love and Learn Math" complete toolkit along with the videos is available online.
- https://www.ontariodirectors.ca/parent_engagement-math/en/index.htm All the materials can be downloaded from there by anyone.
- Khan Academy With over 3,200 videos on everything from arithmetic to physics, finance, and history and hundreds of skills to practice, we're on a mission to help you learn what you want, when you want, at your own pace.
- Patrick Just Math Tutorials choose from hundreds of topics and watch how it's done.
- National Library of Virtual Manipulatives is a free online resource for computer math manipulatives for all grades.
- Glencoe virtual math manipulatives
- Illuminations is another wonderful web resource for volunteers--check out the section on how to use Cuisenaire rods.
- For High School Math Volunteers check out this wonderful resource from Glencoe.
- Homework Help is a free online math help for students in Grades 7-10. Homework Help is funded by the Ontario government and administered by TVO's Independent Learning Centre.
Help students connect classroom learning with real-world problems and issues. Your donation will help high school students learn more about the job market, develop skills for tomorrow’s careers and inspire them to complete senior science, math and technology courses.